Friday, June 13, 2014

#NatGeoRun2014 - Marathon #8


I've always supported NatGeo races and believed in their advocacy. This year's edition is a special one as it is the first time the event introduced the marathon category. It was a very welcome change for runners looking for a 42k event, having been disappointed by the cancellation of this year's Condura Skyway run.

It was marathon #8 for me, and I was targeting at least a sub-5 on this race. I did my usual pre-race preps (massage, stretching and chiro) days before the race but for some reason, I think I overdid it. My body, instead of getting relaxed, became more tired coming into the race. I also regret having worn a race belt during the race, with the sole intention of it carrying my mobile phone for event photos. I was not used to running with this worn on my waist, and I could only sigh as it became heavier and heavier as the kilometers progressed.


At an early KM25, I walled. My left calf was screaming with pain as cramps attacked. It didn't help either that the 42k route is just a loop of the 21k route. And to top it off, the merge with the sea of 21k runners during the 2nd loop became a big headache. The roads of BGC just couldn't handle the sheer number of participants. (Of course it is a different story for faster runners who did not experience merging with the lower categories.)

My finish time? 5 hours, 4 minutes and 1 second. Another blah marathon performance. But I finished it injury-free so I still have something to be thankful for.

So some notes from the event:

  • I love the 12mn gun start for the marathon category. It was a hot and humid summer day but at least we avoided the sun.
  • Hydration was overflowing.
  • The finisher medal is simple and the design is ok. (My runner friend Wyatt's medal was detached from the lanyard by the way.)
  • I'm not a fan of route loops but the organizers made the most of what BGC can offer as part of the race map anyway so I'm not complaining.
  • The only improvement item for me - the finisher shirt. This is the first time I received a finisher shirt that had 21k|42k both printed on it. It was soooo generic, it doesn't even make the marathon finishers feel special.
And now to some photos to remember the race by:


The "Mamaws" (photo courtesy of JP)
Me and Boki Wyatt
With Cholo, Wy and Rolly
With Ryan and Hazielle (who paced and finished together until finish line) and Rolly
Breakfast at Yellow Cab. Nice meeting you Nik! And thanks, Hazielle for the pizza treat!
Hope NatGeo offers the 42km category on their 2015 race! Great job to NatGeo and Event King!

No comments:

Post a Comment