Monday, September 24, 2012

Of Cats and Dogs and an Afroman Distance


Not even the heavy outpour could stop the Run United 3 participants from running in the third leg of the Runrio trilogy. Amid the crazy weather, the event was still a big success, and I could now say I'm a convert of running in the rain.

Gun start of 32k runners was early at 3am. Unlike what I did last RU2 wherein I parked my car at Mall of Asia then took the shuttle to the BGC starting line, this time I did the opposite - I parked at BGC and made use of the baggage bus to bring my stuff to Mall of Asia. There were about 2800 registered runners in the Afroman distance, and everyone's excitement to complete the medal pie is just contagious.

I will be pacing my friend Ryan again, with a steady pace target of 6 mins per kilometer, or about 3 hours and 12 minutes of continuous running (my PR is 3:06 for 32k by the way). The race will maximize the roads of BGC before finally crossing Buendia flyover and head to Roxas Boulevard.

It was the wettest of all races I've ever participated in, and there were even times the strong winds were pushing us and slowing us down. We were basically on target until KM24, but the dreaded wall hit us KM25, and so we dropped to an average 7-pace on succeeding kilometers.

The Afroman Map
We clocked in at 3 hours and 25 minutes, shaving off around 40 minutes from Ryan's previous 32k PR. We were far from our original target, but that's still quite a feat!

Different categories merging at the final stretch
Almost at the finish!
Some race observations:
+ The addition of large labelled trash bins was a very welcome change to the race. It was now easier for runners to dispose of their cups after passing through hydration stations
+ Of course, hydration is overflowing (and with the help of the rain, some cups are being filled to the brim, hehe!) 
+ Claiming of finisher kits was organized (however, there were some runners who weren't able to get the finisher shirts of their choice, but will be provided to them at a later date)
+ Baggage counters were organized as well. I got my bag without the hassle of a long queue.
- One area of improvement is the placement of timing mats along the race route - it seems that there are a lot of areas where runners could cheat and do a shortcut. This could have been planned better.

After changing to dry clothes, I stayed for a while to hang out with some Team Titan friends, and of course some photo ops.

With Seph, Rolly and Ryan
With Seph and Arvin
And no race review will be complete without me plotting my race performance. Well, the red region says it all. LOL!

RU3 Performance Graph
To my friends' surprise, after the 32k race, I headed back to Manila Peninsula for the wedding preparations of my sister. Haha! Here's a happy family picture:

Congratulations, ate! You are now Mrs. Eileen Camarillo-Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment